|← 61 →|
September 12, 1966
|We have 10 images of Dark Shadows 61|
- My name is Victoria Winters. The great house on Widows' Hill stands as a dread reminder of a past that will not die. It casts its shadows far into the night, reaching out to another house, a cottage, into which the past has suddenly and unexpectedly intruded.
Burke invites himself to dinner, where he forces talk of the manslaughter trial. He tells Victoria that Roger took over the wheel and was responsible for hitting the man. Sam escapes during a break in the conversation, and he goes to the Inn to retrieve his letter. He is disheartened when he learns that he needs Maggie's permission to get the letter. Burke bullies the girls. Maggie believes that Sam is a good man and is Burke's friend. She also believes that Sam would have turned in evidence 10 years ago had he had any. Maggie admits that since Burke's return, Sam has been edgy and nervous, especially about Roger Collins. Victoria offers a plausible but erroneous explanation for Sam's presence at the mystery meeting. Burke returns to the hotel and learns that Sam was there and attempted to retrieve a letter of Maggie's. Sam appears and tells Burke he's ready to talk in Burke's room.
- Burke: I could be wrong... but I'm not.
- Maggie: It isn't that you're not welcome, Burke, but...
- Sam: Burke, did you ever think that Maggie may not have prepared enough food for four people?
- Burke: I'd be happy with a sandwich, as long as I could be with friends. Unless it's you, Vicki. Unless you don't want me here.
- Vicki: No, I have no objection.
- Burke: Well what do you say, Maggie? A sandwich for a lonely man?
- Burke: Five years, Sam--that's a long time. You start to think...you begin to wonder...who you love...and who you hate...who are your friends...and who are your enemies.
- ← Mitchell Ryan as Burke Devlin →
- ← David Ford as Sam Evans →
- ← Kathryn Leigh Scott as Maggie Evans →
- ← Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters →
- ← Conrad Bain as Mr. Wells →
Background information and notes
- Sound effect: During the opening narration as an exterior location shot of the Evans cottage is shown, the sound of crickets chirping can be heard.
- We learn that Burke was first behind the wheel of the car the night of the accident when they left the bar, but Roger made him pull over and Roger started driving. Then Roger hit the man on the side of the road, a Mr. Hanson. The victim's name was first revealed in the previous episode.
- Victoria calls Burke a bully.
- Burke was at one time good friends with the Evans family.
- TIMELINE: It was an hour ago when Sam attempted to get the letter out of the safe at the Collinsport Inn.
Bloopers and continuity errors
- At the beginning of the scene in the lobby of Collinsport Inn, a crew member can be heard in a loud whisper prompting David Ford to make his entrance: "Sam!"
- During the scene in the lobby of Collinsport Inn, Conrad Bain interrupts David Ford's line "It was an envelope about, oh, this big...and" with "Yeah I remember it". Conrad Bain then repeats "Yeah I remember it" and says the rest of the line where it was supposed to go.
- In the closing credits, "Ohrbach's" is misspelled as "Orhbach's".
End credit announcement
- Stay tuned for Where the Action Is, next here on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.