|← 294 →|
August 10, 1967
July 21, 1967
|We have 5 images of Dark Shadows 294|
- There is a terrible secret at Collinwood. It is the secret of one who must forever walk the night. Of one who has already struck terror into the heart and mind of an innocent girl. But there are barriers that have kept the secret from being known. Barriers that have kept the girl from revealing the evil that threatens many others.
In her room at Windcliff Sanitarium, Maggie Evans stares out of the barred window and laments not being able to return home. Sarah calls her name, and Maggie is overjoyed to find the little girl in the room with her. Sarah apologizes for not having found Maggie sooner, and promises to help her go home.
Sarah relates having made a new friend in David Collins, and his belief that Maggie is dead. She reiterates her promise to take care of Maggie and help her leave Windcliff. Giving Maggie her doll, Sarah instructs her to go to the door and call for Nurse Jackson. The nurse enters the room to find Sarah sitting on the bed singing London Bridge. Maggie seizes her chance and escapes, locking Nurse Jackson up in the process. When the nurse turns back to Sarah, the little girl has disappeared. Meanwhile, Victoria Winters, Burke Devlin and Barnabas Collins visit Seaview. Burke's suspicions toward Barnabas continue to grow.
Exploring the house, Burke poo-poos Victoria's enthusiastic wish to look through every room. Barnabas waxes lyrical about the beauty of the place bathed in moonlight and candlelight. He offers to search upstairs for clues to whomever might have owned and built the house. Meanwhile, Sarah is escorting Maggie through the woods. Maggie is terrified being outside again, but Sarah comforts her. Maggie wonders how the little managed to get in and out of the locked room. Sarah, however, only has cryptic answers. Holding hands, the pair sing London Bridge as they continue through the trees.
An hour has passed, and Burke suggests leaving. He resents the fact they're having to wait on Barnabas to return before they can do so. Victoria points out that Barnabas likes the house more than him. She berates her beau when he intends to ditch Barnabas, and let the other man find his own way back to town. Barnabas reappears, having found a gift for Victoria upstairs: a monogrammed handkerchief. Burke glares daggers in Barnabas' direction.
Burke, Victoria and Barnabas stop in at the Blue Whale for a drink. While Barnabas goes to the bar, Victoria and Burke discuss Seaview and the past. Barnabas returns, complimenting Victoria on her taste in the house. She confesses she could feel happy living there for the rest of her life. Burke proposes a toast to the house. Suddenly, the whole room falls into stunned silence as Maggie wanders inside. She takes one look at Barnabas, and promptly faints.
- Barnabas Collins: Mr. Devlin is a man with little patience for the past.
- Barnabas Collins: Perhaps the past isn't as far behind us as we sometimes think.
- Jonathan Frid as Barnabas Collins
- Kathryn Leigh Scott as Maggie Evans
- Anthony George as Burke Devlin
- Sharon Smyth as Sarah
- Bob O'Connell as Bartender Bob Rooney (uncredited)
- and Alexandra Moltke as Victoria Winters
Background information and notes
- This was the final episode of Dark Shadows to be filmed in black and white.
- Kathryn Leigh Scott's wardrobe is seen to include stockings that end at mid-thigh. Together with the scene of Vickie getting into Josette's bed in episode 286, the scene of Maggie on the floor of the Blue Whale makes it apparent that daytime TV producers in the summer of 1967 were becoming less conservative about showing women's legs above the knee.
Bloopers and continuity errors
- As Vicky and Burke approach the window of the house by the sea, there's the reflection of a man in the glass of the window.