|← 19 →|
July 7, 1966
|We have 2 images of Dark Shadows 19|
- Opening narration
- My name is Victoria Winters. The tension seems endless. So much has happened since I first set foot in Collinwood and faced the woman who hadn't left its grounds in eighteen years; a woman who has been shocked by an attempted murder; a woman who is torn with concern for the one person she loves most in this world.
Bill Malloy has been out searching for Carolyn, and phones Elizabeth. He tells her Carolyn and Joe had an argument at the Blue Whale, and she left with Burke. He also tells Mrs. Stoddard he checked at Burke's hotel room, but they didn’t go there. He lets her know that will go back to the Blue Whale in case they return there.
At the Blue Whale, Bill runs into Sam Evans and asks him if he’d seen Burke or Carolyn, He says he hasn’t, but is curious why Bill thinks they might be together.
Meanwhile, Carolyn is back with Joe, and they go to the hotel diner for some burgers. Joe expresses his frustrations with how Carolyn acted around Burke, though Carolyn says she did nothing wrong.
At the Blue Whale, Sam tells Bill what Mr. Wells told him about Carolyn visiting Burke in his hotel suite. Bill tells Sam about Roger’s accident, and Sam immediately starts asking where Burke was at the time.
At the diner, no one seems to be working; Maggie had gone home with a headache, so Joe has to get the burgers and coffee himself. Carolyn apologizes for hurting Joe’s pride, but insists she has to live her life her own way. Sam, apparently not knowing Maggie is at home, enters the diner to take her home.
Bill calls Elizabeth from the hotel lobby to say “a friend” found Carolyn and Joe there, but no sign of Burke. He says he told Carolyn about Roger’s accident and she was upset, and Joe is taking her home.
When Carolyn arrives at Collinwood, she rushes upstairs to look in on her uncle. Liz asks Joe into the drawing room, wanting to talk to him.
Elizabeth asks Joe about Carolyn and Burke, but Joe feels uncomfortable talking about it. Carolyn runs in to say Roger is not upstairs, and his bed hasn’t been slept in. Liz believes Roger has gone to see Burke, and asks Joe to leave. She tells Carolyn Burke was found guilty of manslaughter ten years ago. Roger was a key witness, and Burke had vowed revenge.
- Joe: Carolyn, I love you. You know that. But I just can’t go on playing this game with you.
- Carolyn: I never thought you’d get so angry about it.
- Joe: If it isn’t Burke Devlin, it’s somebody else, anybody. It always seems to happen when I talk about getting married.
- Carolyn: That has nothing to… That has nothing to do with it.
- Joe: Then what does? Now, Carolyn, when you insisted that we go to the Blue Whale tonight, you knew Burke would be there, didn’t you?
- Carolyn: Yes.
- Joe: Sweetheart, I just, I can’t keep on being good old Joe, hanging around the sidelines waiting for you to come bounding back to me. I’ve got a little too much pride for that.
- ← Joan Bennett as Elizabeth Collins Stoddard →
- ← Mark Allen as Sam Evans →
- ← Frank Schofield as Bill Malloy →
- ← Nancy Barrett as Carolyn Stoddard →
- ← Joel Crothers as Joe Haskell →
- ← Bob O'Connell as Bob Rooney → (uncredited)
Background information and notes
- The last time Bill went to London was before he worked for Elizabeth.
- Sam seems to call the bartender (later established as Bob) "Mike."
- Roger once bought some of Sam's paintings. This plot point will ultimately be Roger's downfall concerning the Burke Devlin manslaughter trial, as Sam in 193, sensing critical acclaim, demands their return; otherwise, he will tell the truth about Roger's involvement, which Sam does in 199.
- Ten years ago Burke swore revenge against the Collins family.
Bloopers and continuity errors
- The shadow of the boom microphone can be seen behind Carolyn as she talks to Joe in the Collinwood foyer.
- The Collinsport Fly can be seen flying around Elizabeth's head in the drawing room.
- At the beginning of this episode the announcer is heard saying in a slight whisper: "By Vanish, a new disinfectant toilet bowl cleaner...(Inaudible)" before he announces "Dark Shadows...." possibly warming up his voice. Vanish toilet bowl cleaner was still selling in 1966 so it's possible they may have been a sponsor.
- In the Blue Whale, as Sam is stepping away from the bar to join Bill at a table, the camera that was on them at the bar can be seen swinging out of view.
- The cash register is missing from the set of the Collinsport Inn restaurant. This is the third episode in which the restaurant has no cash register (1, 3). The cash register first appeared in the third episode to feature the restaurant (7), in its usual place by the edge of the counter near the door.
- In the closing credits, Ohrbach's is misspelled as "Orhbach's"
End credits announcements
- 'Where the Action Is' made its debut one year ago with top recording stars performing where the fun is. Come along for a real good time next, here on ABC.
- Dark Shadows is a Dan Curtis production.